Friday 4 April 2014

Walk 162

Ardfern to Oban  30miles

The day started with a climb out of Ardfern and within 10 mins I was faced with a cow in the middle of the road, and a large one too! This was Highland cattle country, I carefully negotiated my way around the beast trying not to make any sudden moves or eye contact, it looked very disinterested in me which is always a good thing!
     
Highland Cow!
I made my way up and over the hill through yet another forest eventually arriving in Craobh Haven, which is a pretty little marina on the banks of Loch Melfort.
Craobh Haven
The track I was following soon turned into road and I was left struggling my way around the coast trying not to get run over, passing by Asknish Bay and Kames Bay on the way.  Eventually I turned down a small track which took me around the top of Loch Melfort and through its namesake village, the track swept through Fernach bay heading towards Dognish, I stopped for lunch opposite the small Isle of Eilean Coltair which was just lovely and the sun tried valiantly to make an appearance!


Me and my crisps at Eilean Coltair!
Just before Dogmish the track takes a complete U turn and I started to head upwards eventually arriving at an unknown peak (173 meters up), this is where things got a little strange as just after the peak of the hill there is a blackened tree stump which is fenced off and has many coins jammed into its crevasses, I have since tried to find out more about this bizarre phenomenon, but have hit a dead end as the internet seems to provide no explanation!


Anyhow I headed downhill towards Caddleton, on my left was the Island of Seil; I walked parallel with this very close island for a few miles before meeting up with the busy A816 again which took me around Loch Feochan, The rain started just before Kilmory on this busy road, so I plodded on miserably for the last 5 miles until reaching Oban. However my sogginess was not complete until a very unkind motorist decided to hit the puddle I was standing by whilst trying to cross the road. Despite this when the weather cleared Oban was revealed to be a lovely, bustling town, dispatching many a ferry to the outlying islands.

Accommodation: Ivercloy Guest House, Ardconnel St, Oban. This Guest House is room only. The owner Fiona is lovely and cant do enough for here guests, I was able to get breakfast from a local cafe with a 10% discount if you mention where you were staying. £30.00


2 comments:

  1. Hi,

    Firstly, thanks for your blog. I'm enjoying following you around the coast.

    That tree is an original 'wishing tree'; somewhere locals would throw coins - at least it's marked as one on a map.

    http://www.scotsman.com/lifestyle/outdoors/best-place-to-make-a-wish-1-696724
    http://www.melfortvillage.co.uk/local-info/walking-around-kilmelford/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi David,
      Thanks for the info on the mystery tree! There was nothing marked on my OS map which is why I was so perplexed, however I've just bought a GPS so maybe that will give me more/better info. I did throw a coin at the tree so hopefully it will bring me better weather for my next leg of the journey in May!!

      Delete