Sunday 13 April 2014

Walk 163

Oban to North Shian 20.5miles

Today started in full wet weather gear again, what is it with Scotland and rain?
Port Mor Lighthouse and Castle (in background)
So I ate breakfast at the cafe suggested by my guest house and then I wound my merry way through the streets of Oban.  Today was a mixed bag of cycle paths, main roads and single track road.

First up was Port Mor with its mini lighthouse and lovely castle, this was a single track road taking me down to the small village of Ganavan with its brand new white houses and for the first time for a while an actual sandy beach! the road soon ran out and was replaced by a brand new cycle path, this cyclepath is part of an initative to link up Oban and Fort William with one continuous safe path for cyclists and walkers alike, its still very fragmented but will be great once finished. The cyclepath ran out at Dunbeg which lies in Dunstaffnage Bay with its splendid castle and Marine Science Centre, the next couple of miles were along the busy A85 and boy was it busy! this in turn led to the bridge crossing at Connel.
Connel Bridge
As I was crossing the Connel bridge the rain and wind really picked up and I was in a "nowhere to run nowhere to hide" situation so I just gritted my teeth and put my head down and walked quickly, fortunately the bridge is only a few hundred yards long!  Once over the bridge I picked up the No78 cycle path again which took me past the very quiet Oban Airport (who knew Oban had an airport?) not a single plane arrived or left whilst I walked parallel all the way to the end of the runway.  The cycle path soon turned into a muddy disused railway line taking me all the way to Benderloch, I stopped for lunch at Benderloch and got chatting to an elderly lady who told me how as a child she used to walk along the railway track, its really nice to hear  stories from local people.  I was back on the busy A828 again but at least the sign warned me of the fact that the cycle path would restart again in 2 miles very considerate of them to tell me! The cycle path started again at the Sealife Centre on the banks of Loch Creran, this took me through the forest eventually coming out at the bridge at South Creagan.

Super Seal

I crossed the bridge at South Creagan without any drama as the rain had finally relented, a mile or so later I turned down the very quiet road towards Port Appin and my BnB for the night at North Shian.

Accommodation: Cruachan BnB, North Shian. Very comfortable and the owner will give you a lift to the      local restaurant in Port Appin free of charge! £35.00

No comments:

Post a Comment