Monday 26 May 2014

Walk 169

Acharacle to Arisaig 27miles

Castle Tioram
I had two choices today and they were walk along the busy A road to Ardmolich or take the more scenic route via the castle at Tioram, I chose route 2 and I'm glad I did! Firstly I had to walk a mile or so along the busy road crossing over Shiel Bridge just after which I took a left turn towards Eilean Uaine, this is a nice quiet road that follows the river Shiel until it reaches a car park near the castle.  Castle Tioram is just at the end of a small causeway and is quite impressive, and I'm glad I took this route today!

Just after the castle car park there is a walk known locally as "the Silver Walk" this takes you along Loch Moidort, the walk itself is lovely but a little rough in places. Everything was fine and the path was well trodden until I came across a landslip which I carefully negotiated, I didn't want to end up in the Loch!.The trail took me past Eilean an Sheidh and on through Ardmolich Wood, I had 4 fallen trees to clamber over on the way and once I had reached the road at Drynie Hill I looked back to see a large sign telling me the path was closed due to fallen trees, it would have been nice if they had told me at the start!!!

Loch Moidart
The rest of the day was firstly along the busy A861 to Lochailort via Glenuig where it decided to pee down for an hour, I then took a left turn along the even busier A830 crisscrossing the railway line until I reached Borrodale where thankfully I took a left along a nice quiet but muddy track all the way to my BnB just outside the village of Arisaig.

Accommodation:  Hilbre BnB, Rhu Road. Arisaig £35.00.  Really nice couple run this BnB from their home, breakfast was nice and the room was lovely.

No comments:

Post a Comment