Sunday 29 September 2013

Walk 139

Kirkcubright to Creetown 25.5miles

The day was cold and cloudy as I made my way out of Kirkcubright via the splendid castle they have right next to the river. I made my way along the B727 and at Gull Craig I managed to walk 20 yards along a beach for the first(and as it turns out) and only time this week, which was a bit of a novelty!

Kirkcudbright Castle
So I walked on through Brogue and onto Gatehouse of Fleet, at Gatehouse I picked up the A75 and I thought the roads I'd walked along all week were bad, this was a whole new level. The A75 is the main road for ferry traffic arriving from Stranraer so the lorries came thick and fast. At Laggan there was an escape road for 2 miles that runs parallel with the A75 and is such a relief from the thundering truck coming towards you at 70mph!!! The views from the escape road were spectacular and well worth the effort to walk up and down hills for 2 miles. The final few miles to Creetown were again along the A75 and very forgettable except the Castle at Carsluith which seems so out of place next to a busy road. When I arrived at the BNB for the night I had forgotten that I had booked a room with a four poster bed at no extra cost so that was a nice surprise and a bit of luxury to boot!

Mouth of the river Cree

No comments:

Post a Comment