Sunday 12 October 2014

Walk 195

John O Groats to Thrumster 31.5miles

It was drizzly and cold as I made my way down to the harbour at JOG, in my mind I had expected all sorts of emotions when I got to this point of the journey, but as I strolled down the hill towards the LEJOG signpost I felt very little in the way of happiness/elation I was just a bit disappointed.  I think the fact that I was the only one there may have had something to do with it, as I had no one to share with the news of my epic journey to this point.
The end or just the beginning
From JOG I followed the coast path making it up as I went along all the way to the lighthouse at Duncansby Head and then onto the stacks of Duncansby.
Duncansby Lighthouse

The Stacks of Duncansby
The going was really easy underfoot and this was coast walking at its best, the stacks were amazing and I wished I'd bought my "proper" camera with me so I could photograph them in more detail.

 















I continued on following the coast all the way to the road at Skirza, the going was tough at times but well worth it as after Skirza I came across Freswick bay with its lovely beach.
Freswick Bay



From Freswick bay I had to head inland and follow the A99 road for a few miles through Auckengill and Nybster and past the castle at Keiss.  Once I reached the Rough of Stain I was able to pick up the beach which by my reckoning was 3 miles long yippee!!
Keiss Castle and the beach in the distance!
I had noticed on my map that halfway along the beach there was a small river running into the sea, I thought no problem there are bound to be stones I can skip across.....how wrong could I be!!  So it was off with my boots and socks and gingerly I waded across the river and boy was the water cold!!!  Anyhow I made it across without any mishaps and used one of my t shirts to dry my feet and try and get some warmth back into them!
                At he end of the beach I picked my way through fields and roads eventually arriving at Ackergill Tower this in turn led onto the remains of Castle Sinclair.
Castle Sinclair
A good marked path from the castle took me around the lighthouse at Noss Head, unfortunately you cant get near the lighthouse as its a private residence so I had to make do with taking a photo from distance!
Noss Head Lighthouse
There was a sort of path which took me around the coast to Staxigoe and here I picked my way around the town of Wick.  I didn't like Wick as its grey and unwelcoming so I was glad I didn't have to stay there for the evening.  Once I was past Wick I picked up a path that took me to the Wick Castle remains here I followed the coast to Hembriggs which was tough going across boggy land.  At Hembriggs (and with the light fading) I walked the last few miles along the very fast A99 to my final destination of Thrumster.

Accommodation:  Thrumster Estates, Thrumster.  £50.00 BnB.  Fantastic place that has to be seen to be believed, so much history in one house I'd highly recommend it!



No comments:

Post a Comment