Tuesday 23 June 2015

Walk 208

Lossiemouth to Cullen 25miles

A long day today which started off with a nice 3 miles hike along the beach towards Kingston.

Lossiemouth
First order of the day was to cross the Innes Canal which feeds into the sea at Lossiemouth, thankfully there is a nice footbridge which takes you directly onto the beach.
Lossiemouth Beach
The beach only lasts for a couple of miles and then turns to shingle, fortunately there is a path by the side of the shingle that is well trodden. About three miles into today's walk I noticed that the red flags were flying at the rifle range a couple of miles ahead so I walked inland to avoid the area. The path took me through the forest and eventually adjacent with the rifle range, and this is where it gets weird as there is no path in the forest around the range! so I had to walk along the path (ignoring the red flags!!) and past the range, and they were defiantly firing.... thankfully in the opposite direction!!!! My walk then took me through the pretty village of Kingston and across the river Spey via one of the very best Ex railway bridges I have ever crossed.
Spey Bridge
Once across the bridge I turned left and followed the path along the river until it reached the sea at Spey Bay, I stopped at the marine museum for tea and cake and then followed the track alongside GC No5 all the way to Portgordon where I picked up the Speyside way which runs parallel with the busy road all the way to Findochty ( via Buckie).
                        The road/path took me past the pretty village of Gordonsburgh.

Gordonsburgh
No far after Portessie the coast path made its way around GC No6 and onto Findochty, I walked around the lovely harbour and walked around the bays to Portknockie.  At Portknockie the coast path heads upwards to the top of some cliffs and you get magnificent views towards Cullen, also there is a spectacular rock formation call the Bow and Fiddle which I found fascinating and stood and stared at it for quite a while.
Bow and Fiddle rock



Not far after Bow and fiddle rock I had a choice of paths, either I walked downhill and crossed a small river next to Cullen Bay or take the high route and hopefully get the views.....I'm glad I chose the latter as the view across Cullen bay was amazing.
Cullen Bay
Eventually I followed the path down to the sea shore ( via GC No7) and made my way along the sand to today's final destination, just before arriving in Cullen I took a picture of the viaduct which is now used as a cycle path.
Cullen Viaduct
Cullen is a nice village and a great end to a fantastic days walk one that I would gladly do again.

Accommodation: Cullen Youth Hostel £17.00

No comments:

Post a Comment