Tuesday 15 March 2016

Walk 219

St Andrews to Pittenweem 21miles

The grey mist had descended on my walk again as I made my way out of St Andrews.  Today was to be a full day of hugging the coast along paths the likes I hadn't seen for many a mile.

St Andrews Beach


The path wound its way around the coast up and down I went, scrambling over rocks (this part of the FCP is tidal) walking along empty beaches, it was just sheer bliss.  After a few miles I came upon Buddo Rock named I presume because it actually looks like and image of Budda. You need to look carefully....and maybe squint your eyes a bit!!!
Airbow Point

Buddo Rock




The path just before Boarhills cuts inland, but thankfully all too soon I was back on the coast path passing Airbow Point and then skirting around yet another golf course at Kingsbarns.  I walked onto to Craighead and and the coast path took a right turn heading in a westerly direction, which was nice because the easterly wind was now at my back, the path dropped down the coast to Crail. Crail was the first of a succession of really lovely small coastal villages along the south coast of Fife, after Crail came Anstruther with its famous Fish and Chip shop, apparently people come from miles around to sample their food, unfortunately it was closed when I arrived :(
                   I only had a couple of miles before arriving at my final destination of the day at Pittenweem, today had been a great walk along some reasonably hard terrain but a walk I'd like to do again when the weather is much nicer.

Crail






No comments:

Post a Comment