Saturday 5 July 2014

Walk 177

Sheildaig to South Erradale 28.5miles

The first stop today was the actual village of Sheildaig, I was hoping to stock up on supplies but unfortunately nothing was open!
Shieldaig
I made my way out of the village and linked up with the A896 which is a main road of sorts! the road took me along the south bank of Upper Loch Torridon and everywhere I looked I was surrounded by spectacular mountain ranges.

Torridon Mountains
I soon turned off the main road passing by the Youth Hostel at Torridon and finally finding a shop to stock up with goodies including my first ice cream of the holiday! Not long after Torridon I took a track marked on the map which looked interesting, this led me around the loch to Inveralligin, just as I was walking out of this hamlet I heard a strange moaning noise coming from a house and couldn't quite pick what the sound was, but then suddenly it all became clear........bagpipes! the haunting tune was fantastic and it followed me all the way around the bay.

The road out of Inveralligin took me up and down some very steep hills towards Lower Diabaig passing by Loch Diabaig on the way, this was thankfully the last of the road walking for the next 8miles.
Loch Diabaig
At Lower Diabaig I took the track to the Bothy at Craig this a well worn track that is very easy to follow and relief from all the previous days road walking.  Just before Craig there is a steep and rocky descent down into the valley where there is a nice footbridge to take me onto the next part of the walk to South Erradale, the path after Craig is a lot less distinct and after a couple of false trails I managed to find a decent sheep track that took me all the way to Redpoint.
Redpoint Beach
 Accommodation: Croft 23, South Erradale. £50.00.  A new build BnB run by a lovely couple from Yorkshire.


No comments:

Post a Comment