Sunday 27 July 2014

Walk 182

Ullapool to Polbain 25miles

My BnB hosts had kindly housed my very wet boots in there boiler room overnight so in the morning they were extremely hot! so much so it felt really weird putting them on but beggars cant be choosers as my mom used to say!

As I walked out of Ullapool I was greeted with a sign informing me that John O Groats was a mere 170 miles north, this was a very emotional moment for me as it seems a lifetime ago when I took the photo of the mile post on Lands End, after seeing the sign I had a silly grin all over my face for the rest of the day.!
I continued out of Ullapool along the busy A835 and the first stop of the day at Ardmair on the banks of Loch Kanaird, it was here that I could get a good look at my possible route today across Beanan Beag.
Armair
I walked along the road up and down the glens until I reached the turning for Blughasary, here I stopped and considered my options which were 1) risk life and limb walking the Posities Path to Culnacraig or 2) walk the extra 8 miles via the road route to my final destination at Polbain.  After quite a while I decided on route 2, my head for heights has been getting steadily worse over the last few years and I just couldn't bring myself to take the risk especially the mileage if I had to turn back.

So I plodded up the hill via Strathcanaird eventually turning left at Drumnuie along a thankfully quiet road towards Achnahaird.  The road was a single track and wound its way through some spectacular scenery passing by Loch Feur and edging its way around the very large Loch Lurgainn.
Loch Lurgainn
The track then took me around Loch Bad a Ghaill and onto Loch Osgaig.
Loch Osgaig
Eventually I arrived at Achnahaird Beach, which was just lovely!
Achnahaird Beach
At Achnahaird I took a left turn past Loch Rea and Loch Vatachan where at the latter I got chatting to a man who was setting up his fly fishing gear, I told him about my decision to walk around the road and he  informed me that his wife had walked the Postie Path and from what she had said I'd made the correct choice today!!!

Finally I arrived back at he coast and the view of the Summer Isles was spectacular, even though I'd had to walk an extra 8 miles today it was well worth it in the end.

Accommodation: 192 Polbain BnB £42.50 per night.  Very nice BnB with great views from my room across the bay to the Summer Isles, the owner is very very very chatty!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment