Tuesday 23 September 2014

Walk 184

Badnagyte to Stoer 19miles

I boarded the bus in Ullapool to take me to my start point at the Badnagyte road junction ( I had walked past this point back in June on my way to Polbain), the journey takes around 40mins and I am the only one who gets on at Ullapool and subsequently the only person on the bus for the whole journey, so its no surprise with the lack of customers that this is the only bus of the day!
Rubha a Bhrocaire




I alight the bus and start to walk uphill along a single track road this takes me to Inverpolly and thankfully( as today's walk is all road) there is not much traffic to trouble me.  After Inverpolly the road winds in and out of various Lochs and forests, the weather is showery (but at the time unbeknown to me this would be the only day it rains for my whole 10days away!) I get wet, dry, wet, dry all day long.
Loch Choin
The road goes up and down hills all day long and I eventually arrive in Inverkirkaig a very small settlement on the banks of Loch Kirkaig, its raining as I walk through which is a shame as it has a nice bay but not a good day for taking a picture.
                I walk through Badnaban and Strathan before arriving at the outskirts of Lochinver, here I spot an information board which informs me that there is a forest walk taking me if I wish into Lochinver, I consult the map and see it takes me around the bay and in via the pier so I decide to take this route, 5 mins later and I'm lost in the forest!! fortunately a dog walker points me in the right direction and I'm soon walking along the pretty bay of Lochinver.  I stop for supplies and lunch in Lochinver which I am informed has a world famous Pie Shop, I give it a miss as I still had a way to go before arriving at my BnB.
Stoer Beach
The road out of Lochinver winds in and out of many Lochs and glens before arriving firstly at Clachtoll and then finally at Stoer and my accommodation for the night, which is tucked nicely on top of a hill with fantastic views across the Atlantic Ocean.

Accommodation: Stac Fada, Stoer. A family home BnB, lovely owners with great knowledge of the local area which was invaluable on the following days walk £45.00 BnB

No comments:

Post a Comment