Tuesday 30 September 2014

Walk 192

Stathy to Thurso 27miles

A bit misty as I made my way out of Strathy this morning but I was assured that it would burn off before the afternoon session of walking!
          I made my way along the main road and turned left towards Portskerra where I popped in to see Sarah and Bob and their new addition to the family at their home, I had first met Sarah at a BnB in Withernsea on my trek up the east coast of England so it was nice to catch up and eventually meet her husband.
          I walked out of Portskerra and followed the coast to the lovely beach at Melvich, here I had my first "do not use this bridge as it is unsafe" sign of the day but whats life without a little danger?  I picked up the main road again after Melvich and made my way to Reay and past the Nuclear Power Station at Dounreay.
Dounreay NPS
The roads had now become very flat which was a change for the better as the hills were starting to become a little tiring on the legs.  Once past Dounreay I headed for the coast at St Marys Well where I came across my second "do not use this bridge as it is unsafe" sign of the day, once again I ignored it and crossed safely, at this point I could just make out the Orkney Islands in the distance, this was a major milestone in my journey.  I followed the coast past Crosskirk, Ushat Heasd, Brims Ness and onto the quarry at Ness of Litter and out to Holborn Head.  Here are a selection of pictures.





.











I turned the corner at Holborn Head and picked up a well trodden track that took me down to the lighthouse at Scrabster, which has been converted into someones home and a lovely tearoom!
Scrabster Lighthouse
At Scrabster I picked up the main road again and that took me around the bay to Thurso and the end of today's fantastic, warm and stunning scenery day of walking.

Accommodation: The Weigh Inn Lodges. £35.00 BnB. A very big Motel on the outskirts of Thurso, not bad for the price though.

No comments:

Post a Comment