Tuesday 23 September 2014

Walk 185

Stoer to Drumbeg 19miles

I start the day by quickly taking another picture of the beach at Stoer, I felt the light was much better today and the tide was out thus revealing  much more of the beach.
Stoer Beach
The road out of Stoer takes me to a smaller track that leads up through Totag, Balchladich, Rubha Stoer and finally ending at the fantastic Stoer Lighthouse.
Stoer Lighthouse
After the lighthouse there is no path/track marked on the map however it has obviously been used by a lot of walkers as there is a clearly defined path following the coast towards Geodh Nan Uan, there are even steps cut out and clearly maintained at a deep valley I come across, so how this is not marked on the map is a bit of a mystery to me!  I continue along the coast passing by Cirean Geardail before arriving at he magnificent stack of The Old Man of Stoer.
The Old Man of Stoer
This was fast becoming one of my top 10 of coast walking so far as the wildness of the walk and views were just outstanding.  Once I had reached the Point of Stoer I started to head south towards Culkein, the path was a little less defined but the sheep tracks soon picked up the slack and I made my way downhill towards the pretty bay of Culkein.
Culkein
Once I reached Culkein I picked up the track towards Clashmore and finally completing the loop passing through Totag for the second time today, and on through Clashnessie and its fantastic beach.

Clashnessie Beach
After Clashnessie I followed the road as it  wound its way past many Lochs before arriving in Drumbeg and my accommodation for today.  Overall a fantastic days walk with so many highlights, I definitely will come back one day do the walk up to Stoer Point again.

Accommodation: Croft 338, Drumbeg.  Well placed  opposite the viewing platform in Drumbeg, a family home with 2 letting rooms. £35.00 BnB

No comments:

Post a Comment