Saturday 5 October 2013

Walk 146

Stanraer to Ballentrae 20miles

The day was again thankfully dry as I made my way around the southern edge of Loch Ryan, I picked up a cycle route which I was thankful for as this was a very busy road.  The cycle path eventually runs out at Cairnryan at the first of two ferry terminals to Northern Ireland, what amazed me was the heavy police presence in the area I must of seen a least a dozen different police vehicles between the two ferry ports!! then it came to me, the G8 were meeting in NI over the next few days ah ha!!!

Ailsa Craig
Once the cycle path ran out it was head into the traffic with fingers crossed, but fortunately this didn't last long because at Finnarts Bay I'd noticed a track that ran parallel with the road for a a while, and then it seemed to head uphill so I decided to follow this path. This path led me to the find of the week!! the Ayrshire coast path this once again was not marked on my map so I followed the way markers and then two people 1/2 a mile or so in the distance as they seemed to know where they were going!!  The route takes you uphill and down dale eventually arriving in Garlefin just outside tonight's stop of Ballentrae.  This had been a great and varied days walking with the added bonus of finding a "new" coast path.  Also Ailsa Craig came into full view today which is spectacular.

Ballentrae

No comments:

Post a Comment