Saturday 19 October 2013

Walk 153

Auckenbreck Wood to Portavadie (+Ferry to Tarbert) 21miles

Bute Sound
The rain was more steady today rather than the lashing I received yesterday. I had an early start in order to catch my bus to Auchenbreck Wood, I had a restless night at the BNB because the fire alarm went off twice in the middle of the night, it would of been nice to have an apology from the owner in the morning but I guess I'm asking too much!!!!

So the walk took me along the road towards Waukmill and then left following the river Raul, as I turned left there was a neon sign telling me that all ferries were running as normal today, which was a huge relief as yesterday they had been cancelled due to the bad weather. The road heads south along the bank of Loch Ridden and directly in front of me is the Ilse of Bute, the road climbs sufficiently to get a fantastic view of the island and the loch below, but due to the weather the photos are a bit dull.

I eventually arrive in Tighnabruaich where I stop for tea and cake at a newly opened Tearoom, I get chatting to the owners who have only been open for two weeks I wish them well with their new venture and I'm on my way along a quiet country road to Craig Lodge, this in turn takes me to Millhouse and then finally onto Portavadie for my ferry to Tarbert.  Whilst waiting for the ferry I met a mother and daughter from Dorset who are on a touring holiday, its a small world!

Ardlamont House

No comments:

Post a Comment