Tuesday 25 March 2014

Walk 159

Tarbert to Achahoish 24miles

Finally after a 3 hour coach journey from Glasgow I arrived at my start point in Tarbert. The mist/drizzle was falling fast (Mizzle!) as I strode purposely up the hill out of Tarbert,  I say "purposely" as this is my first day of a 8 day walking holiday, and that's how they all start at the beginning!
I turned right onto the B8024 and thankfully even though today (and what seems most of my 8 days) is road walking the road I am walking along is only single track with passing places for drivers, so no need to worry about "boy racers" on this little road.

Point of Knap


The road follows the north bank of Loch Tarbert through many small hamlets like Torinturk and Avinagillan, eventually the road veers right towards Kilberry which looks as though its the biggest settlement on this road today and it actually has a pub....even though its closed for the winter but today it re opens Hooray.....at 6.30pm Boooo!, So I perch myself on the grit bin outside of the pub to eat my lunch in the hope they may take pity on me, but they don't!  Kilberry has its own castle but I "pass" as its another mile on today's long journey.  The journey eventually runs along Loch Caolisport where I can see where I will be walking tomorrow on the Point of Knap, this leads nicely to the school at Achahoish where I finish for the day and wait in the cold for my bus to Ardisaig.

Accommodation: The Argyll Hotel, Ardisaig.  Very nice and comfortable, the bed even had an electric blanket which had already been switched on! £30.00 B&B

No comments:

Post a Comment