Saturday 27 September 2014

Walk 189

Durness to Tongue 30miles

A very long walk today along a single road the A838!! I walked out of Durness and stopped at Smoo Cave to take a few pictures, the water was so still this morning.
Smoo Cave
 I travelled a little further along the road passing through Leirinmore and arriving in Sangobeg with its superb bay.
Sangobeg Bay
I wound my way along Loch Eriboll eventually arriving in Laid and here I stopped at their Tea Rooms for morning tea with a slice of cake, I got chatting to a couple of men in the cafe and it turned out they were on a LEJOG walk which they started 16 years ago! it was fascinating to hear their story and even on this holiday they wasn't going to make it all the way to JOG!!
            I continued down and up the orther side of Loch Eriboll eventually arriving at Ard Neackie and the Lime Kilns built into a small hill in an island.
Ard Neackie
Just after Ard Neackie the road heads inland towards Hop and then a 2 mile hill from hell that seemed to go on forever!!! the road did flatten out eventually and I decided to get off the main road and use the "old road" which in places still runs parallel but its in a poor state.
The Kyle of Tongue
Finally the view I had been waiting for but I still had 4 long miles to go before I got to the BnB!!!

Accommodation: Varich View BnB, Tongue. Fantastic BnB run by Stuart and Belinda.  Stuart is very knowledgeable about the area and was a great help to me for the next days walk to Bettyhill






No comments:

Post a Comment