Saturday 11 October 2014

Walk 194

Dunnet to John O Groats 21.5miles

I'm back on the coast path after a 4 week rest and as I predicted the weather is a lot worse than when I was last here! The day starts with a very SLOW bus ride from Thurso to my start point, I was itching to get off the bus so much so I sat on the step by the front door 1/2 a mile before getting to my stop!  Once off the bus I made my way through Dunnet and headed for the pier at Darwick Head, this is where the unofficial path to Dunnet Head starts, there is no path marked on the map but its definitely there on the ground!
The Head of Man
I picked my way around the coast passing Dunnet Hill on my right and Chapel Geo, Red Geo and Ashy Geo on my left before finally arriving at the Dunnet Head Lighthouse and mainland Britain's most northerly point, this was my 4th and now full set of Cardinal Points and I must say it felt petty good to be standing there looking out at the Orkney's!!!!
No Caption needed for this picture!
I basked in my glory for a few minutes and then hit the road towards the village of Brough.  Once in Brough I turned left towards Scarfskerry passing St Johns Castle on the way.
St Johns Castle
The castles are in abundance in this part of Scotland and I was soon upon another after leaving Scarfskerry at Castle Mey.
Castle Mey
Just after East Mey I picked up the main A 836 road and this took me past the ferry port of Gills Bay and through Kirkstyle before arriving very wet at my bed for the night at John O Groats.

Accomodation: Seaview Hotel. Great location, very average Bed and Breakfast £55.00

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on getting to Dunnet Head. A good milestone :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it was the one place I had been looking forward to since I started this walk :)

      Delete