Monday 9 April 2012

Walk 97



St Clears to Tenby 20miles

Today started with what I thought was going to be a trudge to Pendine along busy roads, but I was pleasantly surprised when every now and then a Wales Coast Path sign popped up directing me along various farmers fields and saving me from a car squishing! The first port of call was Laugharne with its spectacular castle perched on a hill(see pic), just after this I picked up the "Dylan Thomas Birthday Walk" which was very well sign posted and had a lot of interesting info about this famous Welsh poet. Next stop was Pendine sands which I was reliably informed was the home of the land speed record, I took a pic just to show how big the beach is! And so, the main business of the day was upon me, 10 miles of hills and steps the like of which I haven't seen since deepest Cornwall! though I was relishing the challenge especially after a week of walking through Lincolnshire!! First up was the trek to Amroth this 3.6miles was pretty gruelling as one valley alone had 121 steps to the top!!!! but I was loving it :) :) At Amroth I picked up the Pembrokeshire National Trail and I was surprised by the lack of signage for such an important coastal path, I couldn't quite believe the total lack of interest. Anyhow I strode uphill and down dale through Wisemans Bridge, Saundersfoot, Monkstone Beach and finally on into Tenby. Tenby is another town I haven't visited for may years(12 to be precise!) and once again it was a total let down since my last visit, talk about shabby and full of drunken kids.....where did it all go wrong.................(perhaps a Mr T Blair would like to stand up and be counted for this problem!!!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment