Monday 6 May 2013

Walk 125

New Brighton to Southport 24miles

I woke up and popped into Morrisons for breakfast and blister plasters.  The plasters did some good but I was in some considerable discomfort.  I decided to carry on my walk and I made my way to catch the ferry to Liverpool, here I managed to get my timings all wrong and ended up missing the last "fast" ferry by 5 mins, this meant I would have to catch the tourist ferry.....,.40mins later after a trip up and down the Mersey c/w running commentary I screamed in my head. aaaaaaargh get me off this ferry!!!
Liverpool

  Eventually I reached Liverpool and I was on my way.  The road out of Liverpool takes you along the docks which I must say this part is best done quickly! I have on my coast walk never felt as uneasy as I did along this part of the walk!!  Soon the road takes you down to Crosby beach and the Another Place sculptures by Anthony Gormley, these sculptures have all been done in his own image and are amazing to see.

Crosby Beach
I walked along the seafront to Hightown but could go no further due to the firing range being in use and I was so close that at one point I could smell the cordite from the munitions!  Just after the end of the firing range there is a path that runs parallel with the railway line, I believe this takes you around the firing range and into Formby, but alas due to resurfacing the path was out of use, the irony to this story is that the sign on the path said it was closed for 60days from Dec 9th....today's date was Mch 11th.....I think they were overrunning a little!!  So I took the road route through Formby and eventually onto Southport, nothing much to report except some cracking snow showers which made me look like the abominable snowman at times !!!



No comments:

Post a Comment