Tuesday 3 June 2014

Walk 173

Nostie to Locharron 29miles

Today was all road walking and I started off along the busy A87 fortunatley this only lasted for 6 miles but the views of Skye were great and the Skye bridge was very impressive.
Skye Bridge
I stopped in Kyle of Lochalsh to pick up some supplies and take a pic of where the railway ends, I wouldn't want to overshoot this station!
The End of the Line!!
I headed north from Kyle on a very quiet road passing through Creag-Dhubh, Drumbuie and Diurinis before arriving in Plockton complete with palm trees! I took a track that runs parallel with the railway but is not marked on the map, this in turn led me to Duncraig Castle but sadly its covered in scaffolding as its undergoing a major restoration.  I was now on the south bank of Loch Carron and the road wound its way through forest passing by Stromeferry(no Ferry) where there is a fantastic viewing platform in order to take photos of the Loch and surrounding scenery.
Loch Carron
Looking at this photo now and its hard to believe that less than an hour later the low cloud and rain came and you couldn't see more than a hundred yards in front of you!

So once the rain arrived I trudged onwards to Strathcarron where I stopped at the Hotel for a Cuppa in the hope the rain would hold off for a while, and for once I was lucky! I walked along the causeway at the bottom of the Loch and a sharp left took me along the road to my hotel for the night.

Accommodation: Locharron Hotel. Nice, but the single room they gave me is right next to the entrance, so it was very noisy and I didn't sleep too well. £39.50 BnB

No comments:

Post a Comment