Tuesday 17 July 2012

Walk 106

Dale to Roch 27miles

Today is going to be a long day, not only mileage but the fact rain is forecast for midday which means it arrives when I will still have 5 hours of walking to go!:(   The path from Dale climbs steeply out of the village through a dense wooded area, the path is extremely slippy and I have to keep grabbing hold of trees to stop myself from falling!  The path soon opens up to a flat grassy field and I'm on my way to St Ann's head which is at the mouth of Milford Haven and has not one but two lighthouses! there is only one in use now but if you fancy living in a remote location the cottages are up for sale at a bargain 900K! http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2158058/Britains-isolated-street-cottages-boasting-best-sea-views-country-sale--1m.html
Once at St Ann's head the island of Skomer came into view, this is a very popular place for the bird watching fraternity and once I arrived at St Martins Bay (which is where you catch a ferry to Skomer) I could see they were going to have a busy day ferrying passengers. The rain started bang on time just after St Martins Bay, so I plodded on through firstly the drizzle and then the heavy stuff arrived an hour later, its a real shame because as I made my way down towards Little Haven and Broad Haven I could only imagine how picturesque these villages must look when its sunny.  Just after Broadhaven I made a decision to finish the rest of the days walk on the roads to Roch as I felt with the already saturated ground, the persistent rain and now the fog moving in!!! I didn't want to slip off the edge of a cliff having not being able to see where I was going!!  The only pic of the day is of the lighthouse at St Ann's head.

No comments:

Post a Comment