Tuesday 17 July 2012

Walk 105

Milford to Dale 10miles

I'm back in Wales again for another 5day walk preceded by a 6.5 hr train journey! The train journey is one of my favourites so the time goes quickly before I have to disembark in Milford Haven.  I have to get a move on today as I have 2 stepping stone river crossings to make before the tide rises and covers the path, this saves me 2 very lengthy detours.  The first part of the walk takes me through the streets of Milford and the town is very ordinary with the main business being oil refineries. The Pembrokeshire coast path eventually winds its way to Gelliswick which is a nice quite bay but the oil refineries are always shadowing the coast in these parts. Just after Gelliswick the path starts to hug the coast and becomes a lot more rural with tall grass, nettles and the inevitable mud, I say inevitable but as its 5th July this shouldn't be the case......and then there was summer 2012!!!!.  I wound my way along Milford sound and fortunately the sun is shining, the first river crossing is at Sandy Haven and the tide is nowhere to be seen! there used to be a ferry here but that is long gone, the stepping stones are caked in thick moss so its small baby steps and very slowly does it!!!  I have another 4 miles to get to Musselwick for the next river crossing so I really start to get a move on, there isn't much to marvel at in this part of the walk so I'm happy with my head down and getting to the crossing point ASAP.  Once again I make good time and these stepping stones are a lot easier. The last mile is along a busy country road but you are rewarded with the lovely village of Dale at the end. The pic was taken just before Musselwick looking towards Dale.

No comments:

Post a Comment