Tuesday 17 July 2012

Walk 107

Roch to Whitesands Bay ( including a short detour to St Davids) 17miles

A fantastic day greeted me today on this relatively short walk, the first port of call was Newgale with its long shingle beach which leads to a nice uphill 1/2mile climb, today was going to be fairly hard going as there were a number of up and down valleys to negotiate.After the fifth of the up and downs I reached Solva and this village is just stunning I thought I'd taken a wrong turn and ended up in Cornwall!!! 3 miles after Slova I decided to take a 2 mile round trip inland detour to St Davids which is the smallest city in the UK.  St David's is just lovely with its cobbled streets and little cathedral, it was well worth the visit, there was also a pilgrimage though the streets of St Davids cumulating in art and performances from the local children.

Once back on the coast path I made my way to St Justinians where you catch the ferry to Ramsey Island which is another popular birdwatching and wildlife sanctuary. 2 more miles and I'd made it to Whiesands with a very burnt neck but happy that the rain had finally abated. The 2 pics are of Solva and Whitesands Bay.

No comments:

Post a Comment