Saturday 28 September 2013

Walk 132

Ravenglass to Parton 23miles

St Bees
An early start today so I could catch my train/plane home. The day was bright and clear and as I made my way across the rail/footbridge towards Drigg I decided to try to take a short cut, I'd seen on the map that there maybe a route across a field to a river crossing at Hall Carleton but alas there was no bridge! So I back tracked and made my way around the country roads to cross the river at church style. The road then led me to the beach at Drigg the tide was out and I was looking forward to a nice long beach walk to but sadly this came to an abrupt end at Sellafield, the nuclear power station had decided on an extension so you are not allowed on their part of the beach until the end of 2013! So I trudged inland to Beckermet and then made my way to the beach, but by the time I arrived the tide had come in so I had to walk the next 3.5miles along very up and down country roads all the way to St Bees. The views from this part of today's journey were spectacular and it must be said that had I walked along the beach I would of missed a lot today.
At St Bees you are able to get on the cliff top path that takes you all the way to Whitehaven, this is a fantastic walk with views to die for in all directions, it also takes in the lovely lighthouse at St Bees head.

St Bees Lighthouse
Whitehaven Marina
St Bees is also the start/finish point of the coast to coast walk which eventually ends up on the east coast at Robin Hoods Bay. I arrived in Whitehaven and I was pleasantly surprised at how nice it was with its lovely marina and some very upmarket restaurants! The last few miles to Parton takes you along the seafront via the very nice No72 cycle route, I arrived at the station in Parton 45mins early which gave me time to reflect whilst eating my pasty what a really nice and varied days walk today was.


No comments:

Post a Comment