Saturday 28 September 2013

Walk 134

Siloth to Bowness 23miles

Must be Roman!
The wind was howling as I started out today, it was fierce yesterday but today was another level! I walked out of town and my first stop was Skinburness, here the road follows the marshes around the river Waver. I decided early on not to risk taking the scenic route across the marshes, even though it was way marked I was only wearing my walking shoes so I didn't fancy wet feet for most of the day

As I walked along the road around the estuary the small villages came thick and fast Abbeytown, Newton Arlosh, Angerton and Whitrigg to name but a few. At Bowrigg I was finally able to walk along the river for a while but this soon turned inland and I had to eventually walk across a very muddy farmers field to bring me back to the road at Applegarth. The rest of the walk was along roads but I got my first proper view of the Scottish coast and the big mountain that is Criffel, it look very large and looming on the horizon but thankfully I have go around it! Really hard on my feet today, sunny for most of the day but the WIND....don't get me started!

The BNB in Bowness is great and the room I have has the thickest duvet I have ever slept under, it must be 600 Tog!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment