Sunday 29 September 2013

Walk 136

Eastriggs to Dumfries 25miles
Dumfries Bridge

The day started with yet another battle into a fierce headwind. All of today's walk was to be along roads and frankly I'm a bit fed up with having to dodge traffic!

Criffel and Cows!
So the first village along the road was Durrock, at least there had been pavement up until this point but that soon ran out and I was once again in the lap of the gods for the next few miles. Eventually just after Annan I took a left turn along a much quieter road that led down to Prowfoot which is at least on the shoreline, and a nice village as well! The wind was still buffeting me which was making the going really slow, and then just when I thought things couldn't get any worse I got caught in a shower the likes of which I haven't seen in a long time!!! The road took me through Stank and onto Shearington where just after is the castle at Caverlock which I could only see from a distance but it looked very impressive. Soon the road turned north towards Dumfries and I got my first good look at the mountain Criffel it certainly looked imposing the closer you get to it and makes for a great photo.. I eventually arrived in Dumfries which is quite a nice town with a fantastic weir where I sat in the evening eating my fish and chips.

No comments:

Post a Comment