Tuesday 15 July 2014

Walk 179

Melvaig to Mellon Charles 27.5miles

A grey start to the day and made even greyer when I realised 2 miles down the road from the BnB that I had left my hat in the room, this hat has been with me on most of my journey and I was very sad to have lost it in such a way, especially when 1 hour later I was standing looking at the lighthouse at Rubha Reidh with the rain lashing down thinking I could do with a hat!!!

Rubha Reidh Lighthouse
I quickly took a picture of the lighthouse and then followed the track towards Camas Mor, this was a good track for the first mile or so but then I made a big mistake!

Camas Mor
The track went off to the left looking as though it would end up on the beach, I decided to totally ignore the map AND my GPS which was telling me to go that way and I headed off in the wrong direction!!!  I ask you what idiot does that???  Anyhow I went through many bogs and ended up on top of the hill that I should have walked around! but on the plus side I got a fatanstic view!!
If you have this view you've gone the wrong way!
I managed to scramble down the hill and found the track that I should have been on and this took me in and out of the lochs all the way to Rubha nan Sasan where I picked up the B8057.  The first hamlet on this road was Mellangaun with its very nice beach.
Mellangaun
The road took me along Loch Ewe towards Poolewe via Midtwon and Naast, by now the sun was out again and I stopped by the side of the Loch in Poolewe for my lunch.
Isle of Ewe
I had now picked up the busy A832 road again, this took me past Loch Tournaig and finally onto Drumchork where there is a military refuelling station tucked in behind Loch Ewe far from prying eyes!!!

Loch Tournaig

Th final part of today's journey was via Aultbea along a very nice quiet road finally arriving in Mellon Charles just in time for tea.

Accommodation: Tranquillity, Mellon Charles.  Very nice BnB that also has an extensive evening meal menu which I took full advantage of! £30.00BnB

No comments:

Post a Comment