Wednesday 6 May 2015

Walk 199

Dornoch to Portmahomack 21miles

A dull miserable start to the day greeted me as I boarded the bus from my accommodation in Tain to Dornoch.  Once in Dornoch I followed a small road towards the beach with the intention of walking around the bay as far as possible, but as I made my way along the beach a small but deep river blocked my path and I was forced to walk inland.
Dornoch Beach

Once I was off the beach I found myself walking along the same road back towards town! I eventually found a quiet route out of Dornoch passing through Eaglefield and Lonemore before finally meeting up with the A9 and the walk across the windy Dornoch Firth Bridge.  The A9 eventually led me to Tain but thankfully it branched off in a different direction as I made my way past Morrich More.
Tain in the distance!
  The road now was very quiet and that was such a relief after the last few days, the rain had only been light and patchy and as I entered Portmahomack I was seriously glad that todays milage was a third less than yesterdays!
Portmahomack
Portmahomack is a lovely little village but like a lot of these sorts of places the tourist season is very short and as I was the only one in the pub on a wet Wednesday afternoon you can only feel sorry for their predicament.

Accommodation: Station Hotel, Tain £25.00 room only. A nice hotel/pub but I wouldn't recommend staying here on a weekend as they have their own underground nightclub that stays open V late

No comments:

Post a Comment