Thursday 7 May 2015

Walk 200

Portmahomack to Nigg 26miles




Tarbatness Route

A cold biting wind whipped off the sea as I made my way out of Portmahomack, but at least in was sunny! There is no path marked on the map up to Tarbatness Lighthouse but so many had walked this route that there was a worn track all the way!  Eventually the magnificent red and white lighthouse came into view and she was a beauty!
Tarbatness Lighthouse
I much prefer the "classic" red and white painted lighthouse, fortunately ( for Somebody) this is someones residence so I could only get a look at the outside. I eventually made my way from the lighthouse towards Rockfield, there is a good signposted path all along the bottom of the cliffs taking me eventually to Balintore and a very big milestone in my journey as I had made it to 4000 miles, I celebrated with a sandwich and a change of socks!!!! 
Glenmorangie House
Balintore
After Balintore I took the road passing through Shandwick, Pitcalnie, Nigg and finally the Nigg Ferry, unfortunately for me the ferry only runs from 1st June, so I had a rather long detour over the next few days to get to the other side of the Cromarty Firth!!!!

Accommodation: Lower Pitcalnie BnB, Nr Nigg  Very pleasant BnB with a great view over the garden, I also had the Evening meal option as there is no where else to eat!! £45.00 B,B and E

No comments:

Post a Comment