Tuesday 1 October 2013

Walk 141


Newton Stewart to Isle of Whithorn 24.5miles

It has been 2 months since my last week away and I was itching to get back on the road again. After a long journey from Glasgow via Stranraer I arrived in sunny Newton Stewart, what a difference a place looks when the sun is shining.

Cairnsmore From Newton Stewart
I walked along the busy A746 for a few miles before veering off to the left along the more sedate B7004, this was more like it, a road with very little traffic the river Nith on my left and forest on my right just bliss! The route took me through Wigtown and then onto Garleston, I got chatting to the shop keeper in Garleston and she informed me that I could walk along the coast path for most of the rest of my journey, the path was not marked on my map but I went for it anyway!! It turns out that the path along the coast has only just been opened and it had all the mod cons of a path with kissing gates, bridges and styles. However I did have to proceed with caution as a lot of the fields had cows and calf's, as long as I remembered to not get between the two then I would be safe!!

Dinnans Fort

2 comments:

  1. This is my neck of the woods and I am hoping to start a coastal walk soon to be completed in 10 years. Great to read your blog and I will be following it and hope to set up my own walking blog soon. I think the view you say is Criffel in your first photo is actually of Cairnsmore. Criffel is over by Castle Douglas. Look forward to your next post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well spotted! I take so many photos, that by the time I get home and I'm sat at the computer thinking "where is that?" so sometimes its a bit of guess work and this time wrongly so!!

      Delete