Saturday 12 March 2016

Walk 216

St Cyrus to Arbroath 24miles

There is another good cycle path that took me over the county border from Aberdeenshire to Angus. Once over the border I walked along the cycle path until I was able to cut through some woodland to reach the beach, and what a beauty! I was beginning to miss my beach walks and even though this one was over in a matter of a few of miles I really enjoyed the feeling of sand on my boots again.
Montrose Beach
I quickly made my way through Montrose stopping only to stock up on essential supplies (sandwiches etc!) I then made my way along the road to another of my favourites "the Lighthouse", the one at Scurdie Ness is like a lot of lighthouses these days and is privately owned,  I mean who wouldn't not like living in a lighthouse? sheer bliss for me!!
Scurdie Ness Lighthouse
Once I'd passed the lighthouse I followed a track to the Mains of Usan and then picked up a quiet road that took me to Lunan.  I stopped for a bite to eat in the grounds of the castle at Red Castle.
Red Castle

After lunch I took on the 2 mile walk along the beach at Lunan finishing at Corbie Knowe where I picked up a farm track that took me all the way to Auchmithie, according to the waymarkers I was now on the Angus Coast Path which like a lot of these paths is not marked on my map.
At Auchmithie the track turns into a great coastal path that is well maintained and the views are spectacular.
Carlingheugh Bay

Castlesea Bay

The 5 miles from Auchmithie to Arbroath was a real treat and it even had my 3rd " don't walk along the coast sign/warning" which in true tradition I chose to ignore and I'm still here to tell the tale!!!

Accommodation: Blairdene Guest House, 216 High St. Arbroath £35.00 BnB Nice but a little bit strange!!!










No comments:

Post a Comment