Saturday 19 March 2016

Walk 223

Seaton Sands to Dunbar 31miles

Originally I was only going to walk to Tyninghame which is 7 miles short of Dunbar but as tomorrow is Sunday there was no bus back to Tyninghame so I just thought I would "bite the bullet" and take the extra 7 miles on the chin.

Gosford House
I was still walking along the John Muir way for a while until it headed inland towards Gullane , I veered off to the left across a very fine wooden bridge onto the Luffness links, this in turn leads to the Gullane links and eventually I am back on the coast at Gullane Bay where I stop for a moment to take in the view.
Gullane Sands


Once again I am the only person on the beach as its probably too far for most people to walk, there is a good path that leads me around the bay and as a bonus the tide is on it way out. I made my way around the bay and took a picture of the small islands just off the Brigs of Fidra.

North Dog and South Dog

As you can see the islands are called North and South Dog, North Dog is the one on the left with the lighthouse. The bay leads onto Broad Sands and because the tide is out I can walk "route one" all the way to North Berwick.
            I stop in North Berwick for a sandwich and finally the sun makes an appearance, so as a reward I treat myself to an ice cream. :)
            There is a road out of North Berwick that follows the coast and it soon turns into a coast path, eventually the path runs out and I find myself making it up as I go along, I manage to scramble over a dry stone wall which leads onto the A198, even though its an "A" road its nice and quiet on this Sunday afternoon.  The "A" road takes me down to Castleton where the impressive Tantallon castle resides.

Tantallon Castle and Bass Rock
As you can see I managed a nice photo of the castle and Bass Rock, they look really close on my photo but Bass Rock is a good mile or so out at sea.
              Not long after Tantallon Castle the road takes a left and then becomes a track taking me around the bay at The Gegan this in turn takes me down to Peffer Sands, eventually I have to head inland along a dead straight road called Lime Tree Walk I really dislike roads that are this straight as they seem never ending. After turning left at the end of the road I finally make it to the village on Tyninghame this where I should have stopped for the day as even by now my feet and legs were starting to scream at me, but instead I carried on! Just after Tyninghame the John Muir Way makes a welcome return to the coast after its meanderings in the Scottish fields of West Lothian, I followed the path to the coast and cut across the beach at Dunbar (as I had spotted a footbridge near the golf course). Finally I arrived into Dunbar at the end of my day, thoroughly knackered but at least tomorrow was a nice easy day.

Accommodation: Air BnB, A nice house and they made me feel very welcome but the bed was far too small for me. :(

No comments:

Post a Comment