Sunday 13 March 2016

Walk 217

Arbroath to Tayport Bridge 21miles

I was feeling tired this morning, and as I walked along the seafront at Arbroath my legs felt like there was lead weights tied around them, I have always found on these walks that day 3 or 4 are the hardest and today was the day! Though you will notice one thing from the picture below, and that is Blue Sky!! yes the sun finally made an appearance!!
,
Arbroath Beach

                I had to head a little inland at the start as (or so I thought) there was no path along the front and therefore I had to walk along the cycle path next to the A92, it transpires that there is now a brand new cycle path that takes you from Arbroath to Dundee hugging the coast which are not marked on any OS map..... yet!.
                So I trudged wearily along the coast passing through Carnoustie, Golf St and Barry, I had wanted to walk around Buddon Ness but due to the MOD red flags flying I was unable to, this did surprise me as it was a Sunday but you could hear the pop, pop pop in the distance of gunfire. The cycle path carried on through Monifieth and onto Broughty Ferry with its magnificent castle.
Broughty Castle
I walked on through the industrial areas that lined the docks around this area and finally arrived in Dundee, this is where things went a bit haywire!  I wanted to walk across the bridge towards Tayport but bizarrely I couldn't find a way onto the bridge for pedestrians,. I had noticed much to my dismay that there were signs up either side of the road carriageways stating "no pedestrians or cycles on the bridge" after searching for 20mins for a way onto the bridge I just gave up, I had by now had enough of this walking malarkey and I just wanted a sit down.  I walked back into Dundee and caught the bus, as I sat on the bus I decided to see if there was a way across the bridge for walkers etc and much to my annoyance there was!! the walkway was in the middle of the 2 carriageways!!! I must have walked past the entrance 3 times and just not seen where to walk!! So, I got off the bus and walked back into Dundee and caught the bus back to St Andrews for my 3 night stay with my daughter who is at the University.



No comments:

Post a Comment