Saturday 10 September 2016

Walk 233

Skinningrove to Whitby  23miles

I could of binned my maps now that I was on the well signposted Cleveland Way, this long distance path would take me all the way to my finish at Scarborough in 2 days time.
Runswick Bay
 The hills and valleys came thick and fast and my first stop of the day was at Staithes. Staithes was holding its annual arts festival where over 60 houses open their front doors to let people wander around them looking at the art that they have created, I find it amazing that in such a small place there are so many artists.  I unfortunately didn't stop to browse at any of the artwork, again, maybe another day.
Staithes

Staithes itself is one of the most stunning little coastal villages I have walked through, it reminded me very much of Cornwall.
               The path continued up and down through Port Mulgrave, Rushwick Bay and Scratch Alley before arriving at the aptly named village of Sandsend. Sandsend is aptly named due to the fact that the beach from Whitby finishes at Sandsend!  I now had the opportunity to walk along the 3 mile beach all the way to Whitby which I relished as the tide was well on its way out.  Once I reached Whitby I had a real shock as I turned the corner to walk down the high street, there were people everywhere!! its a real shock to the system when day in day out you hardly see a soul and then you are faced with a Wall of people!!!! I had arrived in Whitby during "pirate weekend" hence the reason it was so busy.
Staithes
Accommodation: Air Bnb. I had a whole house to myself so I put my feet up and relaxed!!!! £38.00 RO

No comments:

Post a Comment