Saturday 3 September 2016

Walk 226

Eyemouth to Cheswick 18miles

I was told to keep and eye out for dolphins by the BnB owner as she had seen them every day this week in the bay around Eyemouth.  The day was a bit grey this morning as I made my way firstly upstream along the river in Eyemouth then downstream towards the coast, just before turning south along the coast path something caught my eye in the sea, I stood still for a while and there they were Dolphins! what a treat and a fantastic way to start the day.

Eyemouth Port
The path hugged the coast, but thankfully after yesterday's exertions it was reasonably flat, the first hill was downhill into Burnmouth which is a lovely little village tucked into a bay.

Burnmouth
 I promptly got lost in Burnmouth as I had managed to find my way in but couldn't find my way out! fortunately a local man pointed me in the right direction which was between two houses and via someone's garden!!! no wonder I couldn't find my way out!
                 The coast path now started to follow the course of the railway line and its nice to give people a wave when a train goes by, I like to think it cheers them up!!
                At Megs dub I was passed by 3 runners who I saw in the distance stop at the Scottish/English border to take photos and I thought that they must be on some sort of trek like mine it was a shame that I didn't get chance to have a chat to them.  Soon enough I also reached the Scottish/English border and paused for a while to reflect on my journey around Scotland I let out a loud WooooHooo as I passed through the gate much the same as I did when I finished Wales.
Leaving Scotland

Arriving in England
                     You can see whos got the money by the condition of the signs!!! 

The path continued to run parallel with the railway line and at Needles Eye I bumped into the gentleman who had give me instructions on how to get out of Burnmouth! he was leading a rambling group, we had a quick chat and then we were both on our way.  Not long after Needles Eye the path starts to hug the coast again and all too soon I was walking along the ramparts at Berwick.

Berwick Ramparts

River Tweed Bridge

I followed the River Tweed out to the Spittal and then picked up The Northumberland Coast Path, I don't know why I bothered bringing my maps on this holiday!!!
Now that's what I call a sign
I walked along the beach a the Spittal until I reached Bears Head where the sign above resides, the path turned into a shared path with cyclists and this took me all the way to my finish point at Cheswick.
Spittal Beach

Cocklawburn Beach

Cheswick Sands
Accommodation: Ladythorne House, Cheswick. A nice BnB about a mile inland from the coast path, the owner ferried me too and from the local restaurant in the evening which was very nice of him. £50.00 BnB

No comments:

Post a Comment