Sunday 4 September 2016

Walk 227

Cheswick to Seahouses 21miles

After a hearty breakfast I headed for the beach, I was only on the beach for a few minutes before I came to the conclusion that in order not to get wet boots for the day action had to be taken, so off came the boots and socks and I headed straight for the causeway across to Holy Island.
Time for action!

The trail left behind
I had noticed on the map that there was a point on the Holy Island causeway called "refuge" so I walked straight at that point, a hour later I was sitting on the tarmac brushing the sand off my feet.
               I could see from the map that I had no choice but to walk inland, and at some point I had to cross the East Coast Mainline which I have to say I was dreading. So on I walked. I had noticed some big marquees in a field, when I reached the marquees I asked what was going on and was told it that it was a weekend Inde music festival. Everyone was packing up and I picked my way though the tents that remained, just as I was heading past an empty tent I was stopped by a lady who accused me of being part of the "crack den tent" that had kept everyone awake for most of the previous night, I obviously pointed out to her that I was a walker who was in fact lost in the field and had just happened to stop next to the "crack den tent" to look at my map, thankfully she soon realised I was "normal"! and pointed me in the right direction to exit the field.
              I managed to cross the railway line without incident (thankfully it was Sunday) I then walked along a lot of roads before arriving in Bamburgh and its fabulous castle.
Bamburgh Castle
Bamburgh Castle is one of the best castles I have seen on all my walks, its just spectacular.  I stopped for my lunch in the park next to the castle and ate slowly in order to savour how great it was. but the strange thing is that once you get on the beach by the castle it disappears completely I guess it was built like this for a reason.
Bamburgh Beach, where's the castle?

The walk along the beach at Bamburgh took me all the way to my finish point at Seahouses, this had been a strange but great days walk.

Accommodation: Malabar Guest House, 20 King St. Seahouses. £45.00 Nothing special really, it served its purpose

No comments:

Post a Comment